[petsc-dev] Jacobian lag persist with ROSW method

Peter Brune brune at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 8 19:04:30 CST 2014

You can control Jacobian lagging with -snes_lag_jacobian and
-snes_lag_jacobian_presists by setting the option
-ts_rosw_recompute_jacobian to true.  Otherwise it defaults to having it
recompute once per timestep by setting the SNES to do so, wiping out the
persistent lagging.  This will give you a rather odd pattern of Jacobian
assembly, and I don't recommend it at all.  Your Jacobian will often be
computed on the unconverged nonlinear solution, and may be garbage.  What
would be more reasonable is for us to add some option at the TS level to
lag the Jacobian by a number of steps.

- Peter