[petsc-dev] Issue with SNESComputeJacobian before SNESSetUp

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 5 13:49:15 CST 2014

On Mar 5, 2014, at 6:52 AM, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you call SNESComputeJacobian before SNESSetUp,

   This is a tricky business because snes has lagjacobian and lagpreconditioner which are suppose to relate to when the Jacobian is computed during the Newton process. By calling SNESComputeJacobian() outside of the Newton process those flags will not work exactly as intended. Maybe this is no big deal but maybe it could cause unexpected behavior?

   I am not sure how we should handle this.  We could just not allow SNESComputeJacobian() to be called randomly but that seems kind of pedantic.

    I can hack it not to crash in this case but …. not sure what the correct solution is.

   Barry