[petsc-dev] Updating MOAB version during download

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Jun 16 20:45:23 CDT 2014

> The only tricky time is when zzz gets merged into PETSc master or
> next. At that time presumably we want the merged moab.py to point to
> the commit-hash of the xxx branch in moab. Can this be automated, of
> course because anything can: if yyyy.py package points to a branch
> when merged into next or master (or any branch) the branch gets
> switched to the commit-hash of the head of the branch? Now translate
> to git language.

This is funky logic and there isn't a nice place to put it in the
workflow, but I'm more worried about the semantic problem: we can't
test/review the petsc commits because there could be new commits in the
moab branch that break the petsc commits.  And we have no way to know
while reviewing that something in moab has changed.  This is a fragile
mess for reviewers.