[petsc-dev] Updating MOAB version during download

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 16 17:19:25 CDT 2014

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> > With hg-subrepo - one would do:
> >
> > hg update [commitid] to get a consistant snapshot of petsc+moab
>
> git submodule is similar, but it would be crazy to add every optional
> external dependency as a submodule to petsc.git.

[I was thinking in terms of collabortive development petsc+moab - and
not 'package-management' for users.]

So currently its 2 repos - in the future it could be more.

However 'submodule' is a new tool - so it needs learning. I don't know
all caveats. [for eg: location of the submodule cause problems? Will
the submodule always get cloned even if the user is not using it?
Will all petsc git users have to be aware of submodule? git commands
in subrepo behave differently than in petsc repo.. ]

Perhaps petsc configure:giturl [with --download-package] is preferable.

One difference though:

with submodule 'git commit' would probably automatically track the
hashes between repos. But with configure:giturl - this has to be
manually added to moab.py. Not a big deal..

[we would also have to fixup configure:giturl to do 'git fetch; git
checkout commit-id' for each configure run..]

Satish