[petsc-dev] getting ready for PETSc release

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:39:11 CDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hate to be the party pooper, especially when I don’t have code to
> contribute, but I/O with DMComplex is still far from release ready. Is it
> reasonable that having functional I/O in a stable release is going to wait
> until 3.6?

I agree with Barry that since this will not mean any interface changes, it
can be done with patch releases.

> I still can’t figure out how to deal with cell sets of different types
> (say quads and tri).

I have not tried this. I had been focusing getting higher order (Q2) and
either quads or tris to work. This
all seems to be working correctly now. I have been using it to
visualize/restart a magma dynamics app
with 3 fields all with different discretizations.

> All cell and vertex sets seem to be contained in the hdf5 file, but not in
> a way that is usable by post processing tools (visit, paraview, ensight).

For restarting, mixed meshes should work fine. They are stored in

  /topology/cells
                   /cones
                   /order
                   /orientation

and the field values are in

  /fields/<name>

For visualization and most post-processing, there are separate arrays

  /viz/topology
        /geometry

which are exactly what I needed to make Paraview understand the xdmf. The
fields
sampled down to cells and vertices are in

  /vertex_fields/<name>
  /cell_fields/<name>

> The xdmf generation script bin/pythonscripts/petsc_gen_xdmf.py is quite
> fragile.

I have not had it fail for me, but would be happy to look at the failure
you are getting.