[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 29 19:55:01 CST 2014

>    It was always the intention since like 1996 to pull those out and
>    make them separate. Possibly even as include files only. But aside
>    from theoretical reasons we never had demand that actually made us
>    do it. Could be a chicken and egg thing.

How would you like to structure them?  (It doesn't seem sane to me to
make them header-only.)

1. src/xxx/impls/yyy/yyydyn.c

   This doesn't jive with the current #requirespackage, but we could
   make that work.  It's also a lot more tiny files, which may slow
   compilation somewhat.  (OTOH, maybe there aren't that many dynamic
   specialized functions.)

2. src/xxx/impls/xxxdyn.c  (containing functions for all yyy)

   This seems a little out of place, but is clearly associated with
   extensions.

3. src/xxx/interface/xxxdyn.c

   The functions are going in the common interface header, so why not
   put their definitions in the directory with all the other definitions
   from that header?

I'm leaning toward 3, though other suggestions (and naming) welcome.