[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jan 28 20:41:08 CST 2014

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Jed Brown wrote:
>
>> That's good to hear.  Why do they refuse to ship a make that is less
>> than 8 years old?
>
> Our linux compute machines [ubuntu 12.04] is also has  3.81
>
> Fedora Linux is still at 3.82
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=813

4.0 was only released last fall, but 3.82 has been out for several
years.  It had a very minor backward incompatibility in resolving
multiple applicable pattern rules (new rule is that the shortest stem
wins) which affected a couple packages at the time, though they promply
updated.

> Per https://ia601008.us.archive.org/7/items/OhioLinuxfest2013/24-Rob_Landley-The_Rise_and_Fall_of_Copyleft.mp3
> Apple doesn't want touch GPL3 code [hence froze gcc at 4.2 and started
> investing in clang].

They hired Chris Lattner in 2005, well before GPLv3 (2007).

> But this issue doesn't exist for gnumake. [I see its GPL2+]

No, it is GPLv3+ since 3.82.  Stupid ideology wars and the only true
losers are the users and developers caught in the middle.