[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 28 19:14:25 CST 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Sean Farley wrote:

> >> It doesn't necessarily mean that gmake is broken but could be something
> >> mismatched. I can't tell without the internal logs.
> >>
> >> Though, I recommend that Mark not use any --download options through
> >> petsc because those packages are now in MacPorts and mixing two stacks
> >> is just asking for trouble.
> >
> > So - unless Mark is also using 'macports' install of PETSc - he is
> > asking for trouble?
>
> No.

Ok - you mean - "if Mark has superlu_dist installed by macports - and
also uses --download-superlu_dist - then he will have 2 copies of
superlu_dist - and the configure might test for one of the installs
[during configure state] - but the linker can pick up the other one
[based on the order of -L paths added by configure] - and cause wierd
link/runtime errors."

I agree that a problem - and we've seen it before. The fix is to have
only install of such package [either via --download-package or from
macports - but not have both installs]

We've also had this issues with folks having blas/lapack, X11 packages
installed in both system location & macports.

Satish