[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 28 19:03:16 CST 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Sean Farley wrote:

> The gmake issue could be a lot of things:
>
> - something weird with mpich's autoconf
> - libtool problems
> - gmake itself
> - path issues

The issue is with 'gmake - j 7 all' with mpich build [and similarly
petsc build] after configure [of the corresponding package] is
completed.

> I'll try to reproduce this again to see if it happens on my machine.
>
> Maybe I should just advise not to use --download-*mpi*. Wrapping
> compilers is tricky. For example, Mark seems to have upgraded to
> Mavericks, yet in his script he is specifying gcc/g++ which is no longer
> distributed with Xcode.

Apple [Xcode5] provides a binary called /usr/bin/gcc - which is
'clang'.  [Yeah naming 'clang' as 'gcc' is funky - but I think apple
does that to not break user makefiles that have 'gcc' hardcoded]

Satish