[petsc-dev] Possible bugs when using TS with ViennaCL

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jan 26 04:25:31 CST 2014

Hi Mani,

I tested your code with branch `karlrupp/viennacl-getarray`, which is
also in `next` and just got merged to `master`.

Initially I had to fix up a missing double precision pragma for OpenCL,
two GCC warnings and a missing local work group size specification in
your code to get it to run at all, but then I immediately got the
correct results. The fixed code is attached, changes are tagged with
'//FIXED'.

Except for possibly machine-specific issues, the problem was the missing
local work size specification in your code. Always specify both the
local and the global work sizes and make sure that the global sizes are
divisible by the respective local work sizes. Good local work sizes are
usually in the range 64-256 workers total, hence I set the two local
work size dimensions to 8. Also, I recommend some additional checks for
'REAL' to be identical to 'PetscScalar', otherwise you will get garbage
because of obvious float<->double incompatibilities at the binary level.

Best regards,
Karli