[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 22 13:43:46 CST 2014

> On Jan 22, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
>> Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>>
>>>  When we first tried to follow “community standards” with —prefix I
>>>  was told that “community standards” did not recognize the need for
>>>  multiple installs and that community standards did not allow for
>>>  putting archs onto names to allow multiple installs.  We
>>>  specifically removed the concept of PETSC_ARCH for installs for this
>>>  reason. Have community standards changed?
>>
>> There is a big difference between having the install variant in the path
>
>    I have no idea what the sentence fragment above is suppose to mean.

/opt/petsc/arch-dbg/

User has to manually set flags to find that path.  If we didn't set
RPATH, they'd also need LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  (Not setting RPATH is nice for
testing new system configurations, among other things.)

>> (user has to manage paths themselves) and versioning libraries installed
>> to the same path.  We can continue with using the prefix for everything
>> (which some distros will work around to avoid offloading path management
>> to the user) or we can allow multiple installs to a standard path (users
>> don't have to deal with paths, instead run petsc-3.5.0-dbg-config).
>
>    I am not fundamentally objecting to name spacing the things
>    installed but I previously understood that this was considered a
>    big no-no.

Installing to funky paths is discouraged, but versioning libraries is
encouraged.  If there is only one variant, that versioning is usually
libfoo.so.1.2.3.  Then you can have several versions installed and
precompiled binaries can keep using the old versions.

When there are multiple variants (e.g, python2 and python3), the
libraries usually absorb the variant name.