[petsc-dev] DMplex reader / viewers

Blaise A Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Wed Jan 22 11:26:02 CST 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 10:57 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Moving back to list.
sorry, muscle memory prevents me from hitting that reply-to button

> Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> writes:

>>> How are we going to represent high-order elements in Exodus?  Doesn't it
>>> only support quadratic continuous spaces?  What about DG spaces, H(div)
>>> spaces, or higher than second order?
>>
>> It only supports first and second order elements. I don’t think that continuity is an issue. Nothing prevents you to alter the connectivity table.
>> Element types is set by blocks, so mixing polynomial orders is not possible without some trickery
>
> Do we consider this an acceptable long-term solution?

hell no!

Does anybody knows of any open and widespread format supporting elements of order >2? I checked quickly, and according to their documentation it seems that none of exodusii, silo 4.7, or xdmf support them...

Incidentally, exodus docs last update is from 2006,silo’s from 2010, and http://www.xdmf.org has seen minor edits after 2009... I seem to recall that the project is now hosted with visit. Not sure.

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA