[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 10:19:46 CST 2014

jed at jedbrown.org writes:

>>> Jed's suggestions here would be great for package maintainers. As an
>>> added bonus, it'd be great if $prefix/share/petsc-$foo could be be
>>> configurable (so that multiple installations could be live
>>> side-by-side).
>>
>>     This would allow multiple copies of the “share” stuff but if the
>>     library is in $prefix/lib/libpetsc.dylib how can multiple
>>     installations exist side by side?
>
> If we decide that a petsc-config is the canonical way to "find" PETSc,
> we could do like Python (python-config, python2-config,
> python3.3-config, etc).  Should we install
>
>   $prefix/bin/petsc-${version}-${arch}-config
>
> and symlink $prefix/bin/petsc-config to it by default?
>
> Then always namespace libraries and includes?

This is what I had in mind as well. Though, distributions would remove
the symlink since that would conflict.

> I'm not sure what to do on this last point.  I would like to be able to
> install multiple versions to the same prefix (especially debug+opt), but
> it also seems weird to not support -lpetsc (instead -lpetsc-3.5-mpich-opt).
>
> What do you think?

I'm sure you're talking to Barry here but I'll chime in anyway :-) I
have rarely been in a situation where I am compiling PETSc without a
crapton of other libraries, so saving the extra typing of -lpetsc
vs. -lpetsc-3.5-mpich-opt is almost meaningless.