[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Jan 19 22:05:12 CST 2014

>   We could provide an argument to PETSc’s configure changing it to use
>   the environmental variables that happen to be lying around. For
>   example,
>
>   ./configure —use-environmental-varibles-that-may-be-randomly-set
>
>   The reason it is not the default is too many people have random
>   values in their environment that they don’t know about, messing up
>   the configure.

This is a real problem and lack of environment reproducibility is one of
the most insidious problems in HPC usability, so I'm reluctant to argue
for changing the default.  How about warning (as we do now), but inform
the user about --with-env-compilers, then add those as explicit
arguments to the reconfigure script?