[petsc-dev] nonlinear solvers

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jan 18 19:06:45 CST 2014

On Jan 18, 2014, at 6:54 PM, Peter Brune <prbrune at gmail.com> wrote:

> From my initial reading of the paper, it's about a backtracking linesearch where you have a persistent-between-iterations parameter that increases or decreases, taking your damping less than or towards one based upon the difference between subsequent residual norms.

    Thanks

     It is an example of a line search with persistent state that we do not currently have. Right?

>   I have no idea how it fits in as a post-check rather than as a line search, as it would be redundant.

   Agreed, it doesn’t belong as a post-check

>  It's not clear that this would be better than anything we have now.

    Agreed. But these are famous people so maybe there is some great subtly we are missing, or maybe not.

>  Are you sure that this is the right paper?

   Pretty sure. It is the in the link from the other paper.

   Barry