[petsc-dev] broken stuff in next please fix

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jan 5 13:31:43 CST 2014

>     It appears that this bug appeared in a release and hence could
>     affect many users.

Same with ParMETIS bugs, V1R2M0, and numerous compiler bugs.  PETSc
releases have bugs too.  Releases are never completely bug-free;
responsible projects put out patch releases quickly after finding bugs,
and make it as easy as possible to upgrade.

>     I think configure should detect it and do either A) or B)
>     otherwise it looks to all users like a bug in PETSc, when it is
>     not.  Yes we cannot catalog all bugs but ones that we know about
>     and that make PETSc look bad should be handled.

If we do this with all known bugs, BuildSystem will grow to be bigger
than PETSc and take hours to run.  mpich-3.0.4 has been out for a long
time now, and most everyone with a sensible distribution has had a
painless and automatic upgrade.