[petsc-dev] [Jeff Hammond] Re: VPATH builds broken

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 3 22:14:22 CST 2014

This reminds me that PETSc's build system is tied to PETSC_ARCH, thus
does not support a read-only source tree.  To do this, we would have to
make tests and Fortran stubs go into the build directory (we want that
already) and to lessen our dependence on PETSC_ARCH.  I think we should
be able to make it possible to run /path/to/petsc/configure with no
special arguments and have it set up a normal out-of-source build that
would be independent of PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH.  If instead, you run
configure from PETSC_DIR, it would continue to use PETSC_ARCH as the
build directory.  (To make these otherwise uniform, PETSC_ARCH would
probably become just a hint to run make from the appropriate directory.)

Any reason we should not do this once the testing and Fortran stuff
works that way?