[petsc-dev] Sean is going to love this

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Dec 23 21:07:28 CST 2014

>> $libdir/petsc/ if we want to be like libtool and pkgconfig.
>
>   lib - Currently we put Matlab compiled stuff here (Matlab uses arch
>   specific suffixes so versions for any architecture can be dumped in
>   this same place, of course the PETSc library in the upper directory
>   is specific :-).

$libdir is for arch-specific stuff like object files and shared
libraries.

>> $datadir/petsc/ if we think of them as host-independent (similar to man
>> pages).
>
>   share -   Some of our external packages put stuff here.
>
>   I think of share as something that kind of works for any
>   architecture (like manual pages) and not things that a specific to a
>   particular architecture. Since conf stuff is particular to an
>   architecture does this mean we should put conf there? And for
>   backwards compatibility have a link from $prefix/conf for a while?

I think this is the argument for using libdir (like libtool and
pkgconfig do) instead of datadir.  I have mixed feelings about a
$prefix/conf/ link -- it's unconventional and bad and people should
update their makefiles to use (a forthcoming) petsc-config.  But people
don't like having stuff break inexplicably so we should probably install
it for a while and have it print a warning telling people how to upgrade
their makefiles.