[petsc-dev] RegisterAllCalled visibility

Tobin Isaac tisaac at ices.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 12 12:43:11 CST 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn about PETSc's dynamic library framework.  I've
noticed that XXXInitializePackage() routines are idempotent, but
XXXRegisterAll() routines are not, and usually have a visible
XXXRegisterAllCalled boolean to guard against multiple calls (but not
always).  Then there are comments that say "In general, if there is
more than one DLL then XXXRegisterAll() may be called several times."
I don't understand the different handling between initialization and
registration, especially because the initialization routines generally
call the registration routines.  Any help?

Thanks,
  Toby