[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] gamg failure with petsc-dev

Stephan Kramer s.kramer at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 13:27:38 CDT 2014

Thanks, Mark and Jed for your comments. I have tried improving the
eigenvalue bounds but that didn't seem to help much (the eigenvalues
didn't change much either). Largest eigenvalues are indeed in the range
2-3. I also tried with richardson+sor smoothing instead of chebychev+sor
and there I'm seeing the same thing: without calling MatSetBlockSizes()
it converges in 57 iterations, if I do set the block size it takes an
order more iterations (~600). So it looks like the problem is not in the
eigenvalue estimates. Note that it is exactly the same matrix (so
interlaced in both cases), only difference is me commenting out the
calls to MatSetBlockSizes().

The problem we're solving is a Stokes velocity solve in 2D in a
cylindrical (annulus) domain with rapidly varying viscosity. The thing I
should probably have mentioned before is that it's applying free slip on
the sides, so the system is ill-posed. We supply a near-null space with
the 3 different modes but also set a "true" nullspace (KSPSetNullSpace)
with only the rotational mode. We did test the supplied vectors indeed
using MatNullSpaceTest.

It's quite possible of course we have a bug - so we'll continue
investigating. On the other hand the performance without setting the
block size is good so we're happy to continue with that as well. What I
actually wanted to ask about - the previous was actually a bit tangent
to that - is that we'd be quite keen to get a fix for the "zero-pivot on
coarsened levels" problem merged in (e.g. the mark/gamg-zerod branch) as
we have had better performance with cheby+sor than cheby+jacobi in cases
we've looked at (this includes other cases than the above). Let us know
if there's any way we can be helpful with that.

Cheers
Stephan Kramer