[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] MatMPIBAIJSetPreallocationCSR i and j indices

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 29 14:47:21 CDT 2013

> On the Reported-by tags, could you do them in a structured way as
>
> Reported-by: Matteo Parsani <parsani.matteo at gmail.com>
> Reported-by: Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com>

   This is fine, but there needs to be a mechanism to ensure this, imposing requirements on developers that do not have enforcement mechanisms (besides being yelled at later) don't work. And no, don't expect me to come up with the enforcement mechanism, that is the job of the person coming up with the requirement.

   Note that this is the same kind of situation as me accidentally editing directly into maint.  I did

git branch barry/fix-matmpibaijsetpreallocationcsr
happily edited away and tested
git commit -a
git push

Now what should have happened is as soon as I tried to happily edit away, something should come back and said to me: "are you sure you want to edit in maint?" Then I would have stopped, realized I hadn't checkouted out the branch and done it. Instead I went on a long string of mistakes.

Our development "standards" are filled with stuff like this that, in theory, could be automatically checked but never are and rely on competent people who always do the right thing. Relying on competent people is silly, the software infrastructure should be always checking for normal human mistakes.

   Barry

And don't go and mail me some elisp that I can stick in somewhere to warn me about the maint editing business; that would only solve the problem for me, not for the n-1 other people in the world who make the same mistake. Git needs some way of "baking in" a set of standards (optional obviously) that it does its best to enforce and not leaving it up to each user to remember 324 things they need to constantly be checking depending on what project they are working on.