[petsc-dev] Supporting OpenCL matrix assembly

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 24 08:53:11 CDT 2013

Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> I'm not talking about CSR vs. COO from the SpMV point of view, but
> rather on how to store the actual data in global memory without
> expensive subsequent sorts.

Sure, but this seems like such a minor detail.  With PetscScalar=double
and PetscInt=int, we have 16 bytes/entry for COO and (nominally) 12
bytes/entry for CSR, and it only needs to go to GPU global memory and
back, not across to the CPU.  I doubt the difference between 12 and 16
bytes/entry during assembly is a bottleneck.