[petsc-dev] coarse grid in gamg (for the OPTE paper)

Mark F. Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Thu Sep 19 22:55:44 CDT 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:05 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2013, at 4:28 PM, "Mark F. Adams" <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 19, 2013, at 3:53 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>

>>> It is essentially 3 Laplacians
>>
>> If you mean literally 3 scalar laplacians packed in one matrix for some reason then the one constant vector is fine.
>
>  Really, but (for periodic or N. bc) the null space has three vectors, you don't need all of them in your near null space?

we are probably not understanding each other.  If you are just stacking 3 Laplacians in a matrix, uncoupled, then you could do three independent solves with one (near) null space vector for each solve.  The constant function.  When stacked you are just doing all three solves simultaneously.  Norms might be a little different and the three matrices might have different largest eigenvalues so that will make the SA solver a little different.