[petsc-dev] giving an overview of a branches purpose

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 18 17:24:11 CDT 2013

>    When I create a branch that is intended for a major project I'd
>    like to be able to provide a few line description of its purpose
>    and plan etc. Is there a git way to do this?

No.  There is 'git branch --edit-description', which allows you to
record local notes about a branch, but those notes are only used in 'git
format-patch' and 'git request-pull'.

I've wanted branch descriptions and it is obviously something that makes
sense for bitbucket pull requests (already supported for email
requests), you currently have to retype the purpose in the pull request
form on the website.  It would be much better to edit the message in the
repository so others could get a more complete idea of what a branch was
trying to achieve.

I can propose it on the git list and see if there are other suggestions
or guidance on implementation.