[petsc-dev] sor smoothers

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 8 20:11:52 CDT 2013

"Mark F. Adams" <mfadams at lbl.gov> writes:

> So I should add a residual method to Mat, get rid of PCMGResidualDefault, make a MatResidualDefault, and have SetUp_MatAIJ set this default.
>
> I guess PCMGSetResidual would just set the residual for Mat to keep
> the same interface or should we just get rid of it and make a
> MatSetResidual?

PCMGSetResidual (if we continue to support it) should not modify the Mat
because we can't let its effects escape the solve.  That is, we should
be able to create two solvers and not have the presence of the first
affect the algorithm used when we pass the matrix on to the second.

Note that there is MatShellSetOperation.