[petsc-dev] python2 vs python3 wrt configure

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 24 15:05:06 CDT 2013

Åsmund Ervik <asmund.ervik at ntnu.no> writes:
> I sincerely doubt that archlinux will switch back, they've made python
> == python3 in all python scripts in the entire distro, which tooks
> quite some effort. There were some initial negative reactions, but
> that's three years ago now.

Yeah, it was done 3 years ago and works fine in general.  I would not be
surprised if python.org starts recommending python=python3 in ten years,
with the expectation that all users will have migrated.

It was very irresponsible of upstream to forget to distribute "python2"
for four years after Python-3.0 was released, and several more since
Python-3 was underway.