[petsc-dev] quick question

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 16 12:59:28 CDT 2013

Debojyoti Ghosh <ghosh at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> Is there a naming convention when adding new examples? In
> src/mat/examples/tests/ I see that there are examples till ex170.c, so
> I should probably add an ex171.c ... But what if someone else is
> working on something in mat and decides to add a ex171.c?

There is no convention, just find an empty number and use it.

I would prefer to use names, but that doesn't really prevent collision
either.  "head -c 20 /dev/urandom | sha1sum" would be better in terms of
always avoiding collisions, but those names are harder to remember than
ex123.c.  If you run into a collision, just rename in your branch
(including the output files) before merging.  The git tools will notice
the rename so it doesn't really mess up history.