[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 12 18:46:02 CDT 2013

  This whole prefix/include and prefix/lib seems rather silly and archaic; who uses it but the gnu/linux people ?  For example on MacOS the PETSc install location is /Library/Frameworks/PETSc.framework,  on Windows they must have some convention but it sure as hell doesn't use include and lib.

   Why does the linux world (which is tiny) cling to this archaic model?

   Since the #include <petsc/petscvec.h> can handle the includes, it all comes down to the single -llibpetsc issue of working without requiring a -L flag. We could put the library in prefix/lib/petsc and then make a link back up to the prefix/lib directory.

   We could also put put everything in prefix/petsc and then scatter the needed links in for the standard locations.

   Has anyone in the gnu/linux world came out with viable replacements for the /include  /lib  mess they have now that allows all the parts of a library package to go together rather than being spewed in several directories?

   Barry