[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 12 16:06:09 CDT 2013

Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> writes:
> The important case to satisfy here is allowing a system package
> manager (brew, dpkg, rpm) to have a decent shot at building a
> reasonably contained, functional install of PETSc using a --prefix
> install.  I do like the ability to compile tutorial examples from a
> PETSc install, and this currently works in a --prefix install.  Your
> laundry list looks good to me.  Anything else to add Dominique?

The question is how we expect them to support things like mpich
vs. openmpi and debug vs. optimized.  Installing to different prefixes
doesn't jive with LSB (Linux Standard Base) conventions, but LSB doesn't
really target this case of incompatible binary interfaces (apart from
adding the version number/configuration to the library).