[petsc-dev] elemental in nightly builds with g++-4.6

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 9 16:43:52 CDT 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> When we add git URLs - we should update the tarball URLs to equivalent
> git snapshots.  The intent for the multiple url support in package.py
> is to be able to get the same source via multiple paths.
>
> So perhaps the tarball URL should be: https://github.com/elemental/Elemental/archive/master.tar.gz

No, because that updates with no action on our part.  If Jack changes an
interface, our --download-elemental would fail.  We want someone to
certify that an upgrade works.

> [or the url automatically crated from self.giturls + self.gitcommit . note: bitbucket appears to use 'get' instead of 'archive']

Yeah, so long as there is nothing special in generating a release
tarball.  (PETSc generates ftn-auto, for example.)

> But switching from elemental-dev to elemental-release should be a different matter.
> [both git & tarball urls should probably changed simultaneously]
>
> Presumably we won't have fallback tarballs for git repos on ftp.mcs

Those fallback tarballs are currently a maintenance issue.  Can we automate it?