[petsc-dev] viewing factored matrices

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 22 13:33:58 CST 2013

>    No, I don’t think so. XXXView() has no business calling a
>    YYSetFromOptions() or YYYViewFromOptions(). In fact I go so far as
>    saying MatViewFromOptions() should be removed.
>
>  I thought we were adopting the model that only XXSetFromOptions()
>  queried the database, not any old random function?

What if PCSetUp_LU created an empty Mat, set its prefix (to
"-pc_factor_"), and called MatSetFromOptions?  Then instead of creating
a new Mat, MatGetFactor would fill up the one that was passed in.  This
seems compatible with the direction we are going in many other interfaces.

>    I was wrong to suggest -pc_factor_mat_view, we don’t need that or want it I think.

I used to be able to do this from the command line.

  http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/a/880/119

I don't care exactly what the options look like, but I'd like to be able
to do this again.

The natural place to display the factors is when they are factored
rather than at the end of KSPSolve().  Note that the same factors might
be used for many KSPSolves.