[petsc-dev] viewing factored matrices

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 22 10:33:13 CST 2013

  Hmm, since under normal usage the factored matrix is owned by one of the PCFactor subclass objects do we actually want the PCFactor subclass to manage the viewing of them from the command line and not the “Mat” directly ? Something like   -pc_factor_mat_view xxx    ?    I think this approach would lead to clean simple code, while trying to force it through the MatSetFromOptions() to get the viewer would be convoluted since the factored matrix may not exist when PCSetFromOptions() is called and creating that matrix early (while possible) doesn’t seem the right model. I prefer -pc_factor_mat_xxx options rather than -mat_xx options for anything related to the factored matrix.

  Sound ok?

   Barry