[petsc-dev] Is DMPlexLabelComplete necessary in snes ex12?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 17:52:49 CST 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Geoffrey Irving <irving at naml.us> wrote:

> This question isn't about changing ex12, I'm just making sure I
> understand what's going on:
>
> SetupSection in snes ex12 calls DMPlexLabelComplete on the "marker"
> label if Dirichlet conditions are chosen (not if Neumann is chosen).
> Specifically,
>
>     if (user->bcType == DIRICHLET) {ierr = DMPlexLabelComplete(dm,
> label);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
>
> It then uses the same label ("marker") to create an index set:
>
>     if (user->bcType == DIRICHLET) {ierr  = DMPlexGetStratumIS(dm,
> bdLabel, 1, &bcPoints[0]);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
>
> I believe 1 is the codimension.  If the index set is restricted to
> codimension 1, and DMPlexLabelComplete labels vertices based on edge
> labels, isn't the DMPlexLabelComplete call unnecessary?

1) The value 1 is just a convention that I use for marking the boundary. In
a real simulation,
     there are probably many makers and they are user specified. This is
what happens in
     TS ex11.

2) I should probably complete the label in the Neumann case, but I just
forgot. The completion
     is not necessary the way my defaults mesh generators work, but is
sometimes necessary
     when reading stuff in.

   Matt