[petsc-dev] those who use cmake are SANE

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Mon Nov 11 14:34:46 CST 2013

On 11/12/13 03:20 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
> <mailto:bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
>

>        Man o man, it is worse than autoconf (how is that possible?)
>

> Its the essential masochism of programming, where shitty interfaces
> are elevated to
> grand status because some people can cope with them. Notice that this
> phenomenon
> also appears in mathematics.
Just a drive-by comment, but I can't help add to some flames to this
Are you people on drugs?

1) My personal hands on experience - I'd rather deal with cmake syntax
than m4 any day of the week
2) cmake is super easy to bootstrap everywhere - autocrap and all the
auto* stuff is a bitch by comparison
3) cmake is more or less portable and adding new backends is possible
(ninja)
4) cmake projects typically lack the idiot proof ./configure --help
option list, but there is ccmake (which I've never used). (Internally we
overcome this with good documentation)
I know of some complaints about the cmake codebase itself - I'm not
going to comment on those.

cmake may leave a rash, but better than having gangrene aka autoconf