[petsc-dev] make all PETSc Fortran examples modern freeform?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 7 07:26:22 CST 2013

>    For many years we tried to make all Fortran examples except one or two be very backwards compatible, no free form etc etc.
>
>    Should we switch and now just make PETSc by default use modern approaches? freeform with no continuation characters?

I'm in favor of converting the examples, or all but one or two.

What about the headers?  We can only convert those if _everyone_ uses
free-form, otherwise we're excluding someone.  So I think we have to
keep those in obtuse hybrid format (free-form continuation after column
72 so fixed-form doesn't read it, etc).