[petsc-dev] PETSc developers who use weird MPI

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 1 21:37:11 CDT 2013

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Barry Smith wrote:

> > The fix is to merge latest 'prbrune/sf-sfbasicops' in the same pathway it got into 'barry/saws’
>
>    Thanks. That will likely fix the problem.
>
>    I made the mistake of believing “it is ok to have some branch hang around unmerged with master etc for several months” myth

This mode works better when there are no dependencies between multiple
branches.

If there are dependencies like 'prbrune/sf-sfbasicops ->
prbrune/mat-matcolor -> barry/saws ' we need extra effort to keep
track of these paths - and make sure the fixes - if any - get
propogated the same way. [and then - these branches can hang arround
for a long time]

[I guess these are the costs of having cleaner retraceable history and
stabler master branch.]...

Satish