[petsc-dev] I hate this one

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 21 20:58:56 CST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Sean Farley
<sean.michael.farley at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ah, ok, I wasn't paying that much attention. Then, I would stick to
> wrapping this with a hook.

It's not clear to me that the same functionality can be implemented using
hg hooks. Looking at the documentation here,

http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/handling-repository-events-with-hooks.html

It looks like pretxncommit is the only viable place to do the cleaning
(because precommit doesn't know what will be committed yet), but modifying
the commit that late is racy. Similarly, an update doesn't seem to be able
to modify the state to be applied except retroactively through the working
tree. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) In general, it looks like hg hooks
were designed for validating and notifying of operations rather than
modifying their content.