[petsc-dev] Removed functions in MPI 3

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 21 19:56:17 CST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity: Does anybody have any estimates on the number of
> MPI 1.x implementations in use out there?

Satish probably knows more than I, but MVAPICH1 had releases not that long
ago, and it's still quite common on clusters. Then there are oddities like
the scali MPI that we encountered recently. (They seem to have copied an
mpi.h from an MPI-2 implementation, then only implemented part of it, which
may be a strict subset of MPI-1.) I wish people would upgrade so we
wouldn't have to check for failure to implement a 15-year old API, but I
expect PETSc will be supporting MPI-1 for some years yet.