[petsc-dev] Removed functions in MPI 3

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 21 19:03:06 CST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Probably not, but petscsys.h includes petsc-private/petscimpl.h
>  petscvec.h includes petsc-private/vecimpl.h etc so I think all user code
> includes all the parts of petsc-private that PETSc code does.

Could we reasonably split those? Something that is always included by user
code is not very "private". Can we put the essential parts in
petscsysinline.h, petscvecinline.h?

>    Could we bag the ugly MPI logging macros and somehow use the "perfectly
> designed" MPI profiling level to gather the information? Sadly I think not,
> but would that be workable? (And still work with other MPI logging systems?)

We have source code access so we should put our logging at a higher level.
That stuff is meant to enable profiling without source code (just by
linking differently). I think our choices are to namespace every intercept
or to put the intercepts somewhere that they don't conflict with other
libraries.