[petsc-dev] I hate this one

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 21 18:18:55 CST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

>>     Eventually I hope to get to a stage where the format in the
repository is fixed but we have a tool (uncrustify is pretty good, but not
perfect) that puts it in that form when committing/pushing? into the
repository. This way you can have your uncrustify style that you use in
your copy and only when it is committed/pushed? does it go into the
standard format. This will make the tab-lovers, the else \n { lovers, the
random weird spaces in some place lovers, etc all happy.  We could even
consider just living with the limitations of uncrustify today, which would
mean me dropping a few of my objections, …

Hg may have something similar, but git has "clean" and "smudge" filters
that can be used to keep the working tree somehow different from what is in
the repository. If someone wants to operate with a working tree that has
different formatting, they set filter-clean and filter-smudge commands. The
diffs they see will always be "clean", but the working tree can be smudged
to their desire.