[petsc-dev] [mpich-discuss] MPICH migration to git

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 21 10:07:09 CST 2013

As a test for my "git-fat" extension, I liberated the large files from
PETSc's history (managing them outside the repository so that they need not
be fetched by everyone; though if you fetch them, the working tree behaves
identically to if they were in the repository). This brings the git version
of the PETSc repository down to 50MB, and the clone takes 12 seconds:

$ time git clone git at bitbucket.org:jedbrown/petsc-git-lean

Cloning into 'petsc-git-lean'...
remote: Counting objects: 297100, done.
remote: Total 297100 (delta 228357), reused 297100 (delta 228357)
Receiving objects: 100% (297100/297100), 41.22 MiB | 8.71 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (228357/228357), done.
12.105 real   13.472 user   2.000 sys   127.81 cpu
$ du -hs petsc-git-lean/.git
50M     petsc-git-lean/.git

The original repository (not managing anything with git-fat) is 78MB with
git. Meanwhile, the hg clone takes 10x longer and is much larger:

$ time hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev petsc-dev-hg

requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 25751 changesets with 99594 changes to 10045 files
updating to branch default
4296 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
124.376 real   40.954 user   1.827 sys   34.39 cpu
$ du -hs petsc-dev-hg/.hg
178M    petsc-dev-hg/.hg