[petsc-dev] Runge-Kutta example in TS

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jan 19 22:42:30 CST 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> >   -ts_type <euler>: TS method (one of) euler beuler cn pseudo gl ssp
> theta alpha
> >       sundials rk arkimex rosw ( TSSetType)
>
>    This is not a good thing. Often people use
>
> ./program -help | grep xxxx (for example -ts_type)
>
> to search for a particular thing. They will often not find it because of
> this and assume is not there.
>
> Note that -help prints soooo much damn stuff that wading through it all is
> too painful hence grep
>
>  Any reasonable way to fix this?

-help could take a keyword argument. As a related matter, we should add
-info_include, because I think it's common that you know what you are
looking for than that you can enumerate everything you're not looking for.

I use | grep -A2 ts_type and have

export 'GREP_OPTIONS=--binary-files=without-match --directories=skip
--color=auto'

so that the relevant bits are hilighted, thus making scanning faster.