[petsc-dev] [mpich-discuss] MPICH migration to git

Richard Tran Mills rtm at eecs.utk.edu
Wed Jan 9 22:35:10 CST 2013

Git does some very cool stuff, but I have to agree with Sean's
assessment of the user interface, and that's the reason I prefer
Mercurial.  This is not so much an issue with PETSc developers, but I
like that the interface to Mercurial is so clean and simple that I can
get collaborators who are reticent version control system users to use
it in a sensible way.  I've gotten many colleagues who were using SVN to
convert to Mercurial once I showed it to them and they realized that it
is *easier* to use than SVN even though its capabilities are much more
sophisticated.  I find that Mercurial sits in a "sweet spot" for me
between simplicity of use and sophistication of features.

--Richard

--
Richard Tran Mills, Ph.D.
Computational Earth Scientist      | Joint Assistant Professor