[petsc-dev] [mpich-discuss] MPICH migration to git

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:08:27 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Libmesh just moved to github as well.
>
> I think if you carefully consider the branching model, it has a clear
> advantage over everything else. Dusty Phillips put it nicely in his recent
> blog post [1]:
>
> Git branches are simple and elegant. Mercurial branches are… well, it
> depends what kind of branch you want. You do know what kind of branch you
> want, right?

There has historically been only one branching model … ever. What git
invented was the concept of a bookmark and called it a 'branch'. It's
a placeholder that isn't permanently written into the changeset.

> As for consensus shifting towards git, I know only a few people that have
> used both seriously and still prefer Hg. Meanwhile, there are a ton of
> serious Python folks that prefer git (Lisandro, Andy Terrel, SciPy, NumPy,
> PyClaw, etc).

And how many of these people / projects have been influenced by you?
All the ones you listed (mpich, lib mesh, Lisandro, Andy Terrel,
SciPy, NumPy,  and PyClaw) seem to have spent time with you and your
git-is-the-only-way model.

As I said before, I would like to see an honest comparison with the
mercurial evolution workflow.