[petsc-dev] IMP prototype

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 31 16:55:38 CST 2013

On Dec 31, 2013, at 3:10 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hmm, I don't really see the API for specifying the distributions.
> rightshift->operate(">>1") is a pretty special-purpose interface.
> Presumably this part is non-collective,

No, it's collective. As I argue in section 1.1, I want sequential semantics.

And of course it's special purpose. I don't claim to have implemented more than one example.

It's actually not all that special purpose. The shift notation is enough if you have stencils with offsets that are constant during program execution.

And you did read section 2.3, right?

> Great, but what would that interface look like?  I know you see this is
> something for the distant future,

s/distant/funded/

:-)

Victor.