[petsc-dev] IMP prototype

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 31 02:37:10 CST 2013

Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu> writes:

> Since multiple iterations of NSF reviewers & conference referees have
> failed to understand my theory (the fact that I'm still converging on
> the best explanation may have something to do with it) I've decided to
> put on my coding hat and show that IMP can actually work.

How would you propose to handle irregular communication patterns such as
you would get with a small number of dense rows in a sparse matrix, or
the row/column communicators for dense linear algebra?  How are
reductions expressed and implemented?

I think that the setup costs are actually critical.  They are not always
amortized in either dynamic execution models or methods with frequent
adaptivity, particle transport, self-contact, etc.  The MPI model may
already have two-sided knowledge about the new communication pattern or
know a good way to use collectives.  It's more work for the programmer
to specify both sides of the communication, but dynamic exchange is
significantly more expensive.