[petsc-dev] http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/nightlylogs/archive/2013/12/2 0/examples_master_arch-linux-c89_thrash.log

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Dec 21 22:15:39 CST 2013

>    Hmm, based on my limited checking the drand48 prototypes may be
>    turned off with -std=c89 which of course means that configure
>    should detect no drand48 in that case and turn off drand48, but
>    since configure still does the silly “check for symbol in library”
>    it still finds drand48() in the library and hence turns it on.

That's not what it does.  It actually includes stdlib.h and attempts to
compile as usual.  A fix for the test is in 'jed/missing-prototype'

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/6c614e632301d4991c6282096bd30e29054123f5

but this creates a dialect problem that I don't know how to fix:

http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-dev/2013-April/011931.html
http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-dev/2013-May/012114.html

>    Perhaps a custom drand48() test in configure that checks a few values and makes sure they are not all zero?

That implies actually running code (possibly submitted through the batch
system), and would thus be a --known-drand48 flag.  We can solve this in
a simpler way.