[petsc-dev] BG hang still broken in petsc-maint!

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 18 15:44:54 CST 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> ~/.petscrc does not get loaded for me on vesta [with maint] - as there
> is no $HOME in the run env.

We still attempt it for the current directory (./.petscrc and ./petscrc).

I dug into the PAMID source, but the environment variable processing is
not something we can mess with later without some support being added
inside MPICH/PAMID.  If PETSc calls MPI_Init(), we could use setenv()
before, though that could be surprising.

We could write our own reference MPI_Bcast over point-to-point.  Our
messages are always pretty short so this is actually a decent algorithm
and would be best for the users (most reliable, least confusing).