[petsc-dev] [tao-comments #191525] PetscNewLog signature change

Geoffrey Irving irving at naml.us
Fri Dec 13 16:59:07 CST 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2013, Satish Balay wrote:
>
>> BTW: if you want 'irving/hollow' to track latest petsc+tao - you
>> should perhaps do the following: [i.e remove the unnecessary
>> master/merge commits in this branch - and rebase it off
>> balay/tao-to-petsc
>>
>> git checkout balay/tao-to-petsc
>> git pull --rebase
>>
>> git checkout irving/hollow-temp
>> git rebase --onto balay/tao-to-petsc master irving/hollow-temp
>
> ops - I used the suffix 'temp' to test this out in my clone - but the
> instructions should have been:
>
>> git checkout irving/hollow
>> git rebase --onto balay/tao-to-petsc master irving/hollow
>
> Satish
>
>> git log balay/tao-to-petsc..
>> git push -f
>>
>> I see only 2 relavent commits in here - and [plenty of unneeded merges]
>>
>> balay at asterix /home/balay/petsc (irving/hollow-temp)
>> $ git log --oneline balay/tao-to-petsc..
>> 5e05b55 Mention cell number in another DMPlexComputeCellGeometry error
>> 156ab2f snes ex12: Deduplicate SetupElement and friends
>>
>> Satish

I can do the rebase if you think it's best.  All the merges are
because I was following the strategy here:

    https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/wiki/developer-instructions-git#markdown-header-long-running-development

In particular, if other people at Otherlab start using the simulator
I'm writing, it's nice to have a branch where they can "git pull"
instead of the frightening "git reset --hard irving/hollow".

Thanks,
Geoffrey