[petsc-dev] [Libmesh-devel] PETSC_VERSION of dev branches

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 13 01:46:02 CST 2013

Dmitry Karpeyev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> In this particular instance (libMesh) it's a libMesh macro. libMesh doesn't
> rely on petscversion.h,
> but rather detects the petsc version numbers during configure.  It doesn't
> use PETSC_VERSION_RELEASE,
> so it's not an entirely trivial fix (at least for me).
> I build libmesh against petsc-master fairly regularly, but I don't know how
> much general interest there is
> in this.  I'm forwarding this to libmesh-devel just in case.

When I made PETSC_VERSION_LT() regard PETSC_VERSION_RELEASE==1 as
+Infinity for comparison purposes, I asked the libmesh folks (and
others) if they thought that was a good idea.  I still think it is.
Meanwhile, libmesh could include a simple header that included
petscversion.h and used

#if !defined(PETSC_VERSION_LT)
#  define PETSC_VERSION_LT(major,minor,subminor) ...
#endif

I suggest this or something similar, rather than having crazy macro
conditions.